What is it?
Most people have heard of burnout, however we tend to associate it with high powered execs and yuppie’s, we don’t tend to think of it so much with us the everyday person and we most certainly don’t think about it being a spiritual issue.
Why does it happen?
So let’s take a look at the spiritual Lightworker – as empaths we tend to want to heal everyone’s pain, we can’t bear to say no to people or because we love what we do so much we just keep putting stuff in the diary and think nothing of it. Many Lightworkers live and breathe their spirituality, I know that for me my diary is often over full with little time for me, if I am not working I’m often reading spiritual books, listening to spiritual podcasts and talking to people about the spiritual world. Of course there are also the ideas and thoughts I have when all of that is not happening where I am still in the spiritual energy, because I see it as my hobby, my passion and something I love, I don’t tend to see it as a burden or chore, yet it still exhausts me!
So as a Lightworker, do you close down every night? Do you go to bed and read spiritual books or start telling your other half about your spiritual day? This all leaves you wide open again and means that Spirit will be drawn to you and have you off on the Astral Planes doing more work!
If you have a spiritual job you also are likely to have more than one role;
You are the business owner
You are a creative and/or business entrepreneur
You are the customer services agent
You are the admin department
You are the sales team
You are the marketing department
You are the business accounts exec
You are the website designer and tech support
You are the receptionist
You are the PA for the business
You are the business problem solver
You are the cleaner
You are the catering department
You are the intern
You are the PR team
You are the key person to the business
You also have your normal life to manage…..
Feeling tired yet? I’m not surprised, you don’t realise how much you do. You have to remember we are all things to all people!
How often do you return calls and emails during antisocial hours or at weekends or Bank Holidays? When you were employed would you take a call from a client or your boss at 6am or 11pm? Would you have worked if you were not being paid? Probably not, or not often anyway!
We live in a world where we have too many communication channels; Facebook, email, Skype, Google Hangouts, WhatsApp, Facebook messenger, Twitter, Instagram, phone and text etc. we feel compelled to respond straight away but why? We need to switch off!
How do you know if you have burnout?
Take a look at these symptoms and see how many you have:
- Tension or muscle pain
- Writers block or similar; no idea what you want next or where to go next, in fact just no inspiration!
- Lack of interest in responding to social media posts and emails
- Lack of energy or a total feeling of lethargy
- Blowing a gasket over things that are not important
- You get up as tired if not more so than when you went to bed
- Want to do everything except the things you should be doing!
- Feel like crying for no reason & frequently
- Feeling responsibility for everything and everyone one
- Feeling overwhelmed
- Over tiredness
- Difficulty getting out of bed
- Constant illness
- Heart or heart chakra issues
- Breathing issues
- Panic attacks/Anxiety attacks
- Extreme weight gain/weight loss
- Hair loss
- A desire to isolate yourself
It’s quite a long list, isn’t it? How many of those points resonate for you? There was a point when I would say yes to most of those all at the same time!
The good news is, you can heal yourself and this situation.
How to reverse it
- Firstly, restore some balance; eat, drink & sleep well, take time for your needs
- Make sure you aim for your 8 hours of sleep
- You’ll need to be firm when it comes to your diary and to your personal time management, try switching off social media and emails after normal working hours
- Ensure you are taking plenty of exercise, even just a 15-20 minute walk is enough to help raise those endorphin levels.
- Spend time with those you love, make time for your recreation, include doing those things that bring you joy
- Do things that help perk your brain up; reading, taking a class, learning a new hobby etc.
- Get a massage or take a look at self massage with Ayurveda
- Do some yoga
- Meditation – focus on cleansing the chakras, and aura plus rebalancing the chakras
- A long hot bath with salt scrub, these need to be regular, even just once a week will help
- Express your artistic side; cooking, drawing, sewing etc.
- If you are a Reiki practitioner, ensure you are doing daily self Reiki or find a Reiki share (if you can’t find one the maybe start your own)
- Do some swaps with other practitioners if you can so you feel you are helping others whilst helping yourself
- Ensure you take regular time off for YOU not so you can help others; go for a walk in nature, go see a film, take up T’ai Chi
- Strengthen those boundaries so that you don’t feel pressurised into seeing ‘one more client’ or taking an ‘emergency’ late night call.
- Go back to basics; ground before and after a spiritual work session. Cleanse your aura and chakras after each session and CLOSE down before you go to bed, do not pick up a book on spiritual matters, meditate or talk to your partner about your day as this will open you up again!
- Ask your Guides & Angels to protect you and help you to heal
- Make an effort to be sociable; I can go for days when the only person I see is my partner or clients and whilst they are lovely it is not the same as sitting and having a laugh or chatting over coffee or a book club etc.
- Regularly cleanse your working space as it picks up the negativity of your clients
- Go have a chakra rebalancing/healing session
- Tell your Guides that you are NOT free to go heal on the Astral planes, you need your sleep at night.
I’ve recently had burnout and have had to take some time out to rebalance and heal, there is no point ignoring it, you have to get back into balance. We have needs too, it is not all about giving, giving, giving!
Once you are healed you’ll feel so much better, you’ll also realise how poorly you were.